Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Surviving my Frugality

I apologize for the dry spell.  We have been in a bit of  limbo for a few days and I haven't been able to connect.  Nothing gets us closer to God than unforseen circumstances so for that we are thankful.

We decided to take a chance and pass on this week's lodging and try and get into the next place a few days early, which has left us a coouple days that we've had to do on the fly.
.
We went to the city of Tarragona and spent the evening at a lovely hotel.  We really wanted to find something that wasn't so pricey for the following night. With a family of 6 we have to get two rooms which can add up quickly.

Yesterday, the frugality that runs deep through my veins led us to a very scary hotel.  Not quite sure what it was but it looked nothing like the pictures on the internet.  My heart shuddered as I got out of the car and walked down the steps to the abandoned reception desk.  My limbs were ready to break out in the best Chuck Norris kung fu they knew. There was a note on the door that said to go to another address for the keys.  Oh sure, no problem, we will toodle our little family right down to your unknown address to get the keys to an unmentionable place.  Sigh......We wondered what God's plan was for us.  I was now my mother jumping in and out of the car asking for rooms but these huge hotels were full.  Sleep in the car?  But where would we park?

As we drove down the road, praying, we spotted a hotel sign and again I ran in.  God continues to watch out for us.  They had the two rooms we needed at a reasonable rate.  The gentleman at the front desk was very kind to work with and when I asked him for even a better rate he knocked an extra 20 euros off each room....whew.  I was so relieved to go back to the car with good news of a very nice small hotel at a great rate.

It's amazing when a basic need of shelter is in question how stressful life can be, even if just for a day. We did have a fun day walking the town with the girls, in and out of shops and enjoying the Roman Ruins Tarragona, Spain has to offer. The weather couldn't have been more perfect. We ended up walking 9 miles by the time the day was over, usually our days are 6-8 miles. 

It really makes me think of a young man in Nice that looked to be in excellent health, probably in his early twenties, and gentle in nature.  We would see him everyday in different areas softly asking for money as he motioned with his hand to mouth.  I can understand elderly or disabled but I didn't understand why he couldn't find something to do to earn money besides beg.  But after our own miniscule experiences I can see how not having the two basic needs of food and shelter met  you wouldn't be able to put your mind to anything else.  It makes me think of my kids--if they are hungry they can't focus on or enjoy anything else until their bellies are full. It also makes me understand a little bit more the circumstances of some of our own school kids at home as told to me by teachers.  We take stability and basic needs for granted, but not everyone on this Earth is so fortunate.

Life is good and we are on an adventure...sometimes more of an adventure than we thought but that's what makes it memorable.

At our weakest moments we are closest to Him.



No comments:

Post a Comment