Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Alhambra

We traveled to Marbella via Granada so we could take in the Alhambra.  We were amazed at the different terrain we went through. It feels quite odd to be heading to the southern most part of Europe and have a huge snow capped mountain in our sights for most of the trip.

Endless rows of perfectly planted olive trees  slowly disappeared as a landscape similar to New Mexico emerged then it faded and it seemed we were driving through the Grand Canyon. 



A lonely roadside stand.
.
We took many wrong turns on what was supposed to be a short-cut and finally made it to the Alhambra. We didn't know exactly what it was just that it is acclaimed to be one of the most spectacular sites in Spain. 

I was pleased to see a taste of fall since we are missing the changing of our own trees back home.


The Alhambra is a group of Moorish palaces built for the last Muslim commanders in 1492.  It was partially taken over by Christian rulers and inhabited by both groups.  It then fell into dis-repair in the late 1500's and re-discovered in the 19th century by European scholars and travelers.  It is well known for its Islamic architecture together with its Christian buildings and garden inventions.  We walked through the beautiful gardens and admired the walls of the palace.  We paid a hefty price to get in and I must admit the site was less than what we expected.  I thought we would be going within the palaces and looking at art but we were just on the outside.  We felt like we were missing out. Everything was lovely in itself but I would not recommend it for the price. I had a hard time adjusting my attitude and trying to get to a place of contenment verses a place of grumbling.
Phil 2:14 Do everything without complaining or arguing.  How ridiculous am I to be walking through beautiful gardens with my healthy husband and bouncing girls and son, whispering my grumbles to Dennis.  He and I were kind of doing it in fun but still there is no room in my heart for both.  I am being watched closely by 4 sets of eyes and must be on my best behavior.














Psalm 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.





It was dark when pulled into the golf resort where our little villa for the week was. Dennis and I were exhausted and we had quite a time getting there. It was very dark but we were at the end of the street just like we were supposed to be. Glenda, our trusty G.P.S., said we had arrived. I looked at a large black gate and slid it open. It opened and there was a man on the other side with a flash light asking if he could help me. I showed him the address and he was so kind to come out to the street and help us find our way. He didn't speak any English but we understood that we were in the wrong town!!! He ran up the street and peeked over his neighbors fence and hollered at him something about Americans and English. An Englishman then appeared and told us we needed to go back the way we came about 20 minutes. To make a long story short we finally found our way to our abode but we were met with a locked gate. The family was numb from being lost for an hour and just stared at it. I desperately needed to lay down and not think anymore so I climbed the 7 foot fence that stood between us and our beds, walked cautiously along the path to what I believed to be our building. I looked under the doormat and was relieved to find a key. We had made it! 
The villa was lovely and when the sun came up the next morning we were met with a beautiful landscaped golf course for our back yard.

2 comments:

  1. I look so forward to reading your blogs each day. It makes me feel I'm right there with you, and when there isn't one I wonder where I should be! So glad you are having great adventures and wonderful family time.
    Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing them with all of us. Rita

    ReplyDelete