Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Seville Street Folks



We drove two and a half hours north of Marbella to Seville.  Seville is the fourth largest city in Spain.  We have an apartment in the city for 4 nights and have taken in the culture with gusto.  First of all, the parking is just like they talk of it on Seinfeld.  If you get a parking place on the street close to home DON'T move the car!  We just so happened to get one a half a block away and walked everywhere for the 4 days we've been here.  To park in a parking garage is about forty dollars a day.  I don't mind walking, it's the best way to see, smell and hear the details of the city.  Also, the streets are incredibly narrow and most of them are one-ways.

Our first day out was misty and a bit cloudy which usually makes me feel a little glum but our devotion that morning was on thankfulness which was perfect to set me straight.  Our whole day was absolutely bliss and I felt energized by the weather.  Attitude is everything and I can't control the things that happen to and around me but I can control how I respond to them.

These ladies were so adorable, sharing an umbrella
and they had just come from the bakery

The first square we came upon was still a little sleepy but the trees and churches were interesting enough without the people.






Confiterias have pastries, cakes, candies, many fine desserts as well as sandwiches and coffees.  The cases were laid out beautifully. 


It's very European to stand while having a drink or eats.  It often costs more to sit at a table.

Now that we were in a hustle bustle area we were ready for the day.  We were met with so many different street people.  We are not to judge, these are just our observations.  There are the people such as this guy, that sometimes have a dog and are sitting and looking at passers-by with an empty pan for money.  This man smiles at the girls after they give him some euros.

Then there are the single musicians.  I love these people because they add a flavor to the streets that enhance my experience.  They are doing something for a euro or two and I am happy to stop and listen and then contribute.


Then the people that are selling physical objects.  This man is making ash trays out of aluminum cans and selling them for a half a euro.  His handi-work was excellent.

This man and his daughter are selling roasted chestnuts.  They filled the air with a yummy smokey smell that reminds me of my dad stoking the open fire back home.  I bought some to tame my curiosity but the only one who enjoyed them was Raleigh.
" chestnuts roasting on the open fire....."

The lady in the purple is a gypsy approaching a tourist.

Finally the humdinger of them all are the Gypsy women with the rosemary leaves.  I know better than to take anything from anyone off the street because of all the tourist books I had read.  I was standing in front of the cathedral taking photos, minding my own sweet business, and a lady comes up to me with a leaf in her hand and she's trying to give it to me.  She is being so sweet and pleading with me to take it.  I kept telling her, "no, thank you" but before I knew what was happening she put it in my hand and closed my fingers around it.  Then she started to read my palms so I just smiled at her and of course had no idea what she was saying except when she told me I wouldn't have any children.....hee,hee,hee.  When she was done doing her thing I tried to hand her leaf back to her but there was no chance of her taking it back.  I started to walk away but she grabbed my arm and rubbed her fingers together to show me she wanted money for the 'reading.'  I was so thankful I had on my sweat pants with no pockets, no bag of any sort and a shirt with no pockets.  I told her I was sorry and had no money as I showed her my pocketless sweat pants.  Oh boy, that sweet little lady was NOT happy with me.  Later in the day we found a cluster of five of these women and video taped them for several minutes in the act.  There was a definite ring leader and she would get very angry if her girls got turned down by tourists, yelling at them for not doing it right.  It was quite a sight.  We all watched them for about 45 minutes while waiting for the cathedral to open.  I don't have great pics because I was too busy getting video.  I later read that they ask for atleast 20 or 30 euros after a reading and have been known to ask people to go to the ATM and then follow them.  I did see a tourist thank a gypsy, kiss her after the reading and give her a 20 euro bill!!!


Paella is an authentic Spanish dish made with rice, fish and meat.  The girls and Raleigh enjoyed it. 
We feel so blessed to be going home in 8 days to our family and friends.  We are trying to experience life to the fullest without wishing our last week away.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving to the Rash Family.
    We Americans are excitedly waiting to welcome you back to the United States.

    "Give thanks to the LORD, for He is good;
    For His lovingkindness is everlasting."
    Psalm 118:1

    ReplyDelete