Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Departure Day


We were up by 2:30 a.m. for a 3:30 a.m. departure from Beatrice.  Jason, Shannon, Mom and Dad volunteered to haul the six of us to Omaha for a 7a.m. flight.  We waved good-bye to Papa Frank and we’re on our way.

Blinking back the tears and swallowing the painful lump in my throat we said farewell to our family with one last squeeze. Ouch, that stung worse than I had expected.

Raleigh became the child that we only see in other families (hee,hee,hee) as he flung himself on the floor throwing a huge tantrum as our family parted ways.  My too heavy backpack pierced my shoulders, the heat of on-lookers cut through my pride as my sweet boy lost control.  The eight helping hands that always help me were full.  Nothing I could do but pray, pray, pray through the long security line. 

Once through security I took Raleigh to the bathroom to get him back on track, little did I know the plane had boarded and they were waiting on the Rash Family.  Where did the time go? We had plenty of it, I thought.  The attendant harshly tells the girls to board NOW as he hurriedly finishes with Dennis and me.  We race down the ramp only to see the girls crouched over their packs pulling out the essentials because the overheads were full.  WHAT? Our carefully packed bags were now strewn on the floor while the attendant was on our heels saying if we don’t get on the plane in one minute he’s closing the doors without us.

We made it.  Raleigh was a gem on the plane. Papa treated us to the Sky Club, which allowed us a quiet retreat with snacks, drinks and wi-fi for our five hour lay-over in Atlanta.  Thank you Papa Frank.

We are now boarding for our 9 hour flight.  Pray.

3 comments:

  1. Praying for you! Love you and will miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. So excited to read more! Prayers always with you. ~ Sis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great trip! Will be exciting to hear about all your travels and experiences in Europe. JB

    ReplyDelete