Saturday, September 24, 2011

Leaving the Country Life

Dennis trying for the 6th time to get the back hatch down.
The weeks go so fast.  It seems like we just get the area figured out and it's time to hit the road again.  The drive to Italy took 9 hours with our stops.  The atmosphere here is quite different in Padova.  We are in an apartment in the city with no yard.  I tell myself to just breathe. 

Raleigh stands at the end of the driveway behind a locked gate and waves hello to all the people passing by.  One friendly lady stops to visit with him and he jabbers back.  I go out to  meet Nilda.  She has grandchildren living in L.A.  The neighbor lady nextdoor is from Columbia, South America and goes to the university here.  I understand from the conversation that things in Columbia are not good and things here in Italy are also not good.  My heart aches for this young woman.
The first full day was spent getting a feel for the area, going to the grocery store and unpacking.  I really need to take a chill pill and know that's how every first day is going to be.  We found a Walmart type store in the middle of a shopping mall.  I walked around looking like a deer in headlights for 30 minutes trying to gather up groceries at least for the next couple meals.  I was so exhausted and the store was huge.  All I wanted to get was the fixin's for french toast.  It took me 20 minutes to find the eggs, back and forth 3 times down every aisle. I was about in tears until I stumbled upon a case that was no wider than 3 feet over by the nuts.  Syrup was not to be found.  Later I read that you can only find syrup in specialty shops. Doubts crept in, "What in the world are you doing here?  This is insanity."  I find something to be thankul for.....abundance in bread and cheese, fresh fruits and vegetables and quickly push the negativity out.....I think.

We stop by the train station and I jump out while Dennis continues to make circles in the car.  I am supposed to find out about ticket times and prices to Venice.  The hustle bustle of the station overwhelms me.  The three girls are with me and all my energy is consumed with their safety.  We stay tight as I scan for info. Nothing is in English.  Again, doubting thoughts are heavy.  Even if I figure out how to ask somebody I won't be able to understand their answers.  I pray for guidance. I see several kiosks with people lined up.  I get in line and watch the lady ahead of me.  I was pleased to see that I could switch the language to English.  I was able to look at train times and prices.  I am relieved and feel quite accomplished.  Maybe it will be okay after all.

We get back home and start to unload groceries.  The door to the apartment goes shut and we are now locked out. I am quickly thankful that Raleigh is with us on the outside and not on the inside by himself.  We call the owner and she said she will come in 15 minutes.  An hour and 20 minutes later she comes.

This morning I arise determined to have a splendid day.  All great days for me begin with solitude and a run with God.  I left the quiet house with phone and camera in hand and hoped I would find my way back. I took pictures of road signs so I could find my way home.....a modern trail of bread crumbs.  I ran past many drab looking apartment buildings until I found a little trail.  Oh, I was so thankful for this spot of sunshine in my morning .  Kind of funny, the trail lasted for only 3 minutes.
After breakfast our plan was to hop a bus bound for the town center where we are told is a huge Saturday market with vendors of all sorts.  Everything is such a chore when you don't know the language.  Some may think we're crazy for visiting a country without knowing the language but if we waited until we had it all figured out we'd be staying home. 

Somehow I always get elected by the family to try and ask the questions or find the information,  they must be relying on my theatrical talents.  Standing at the bus stop I get out my map to ask a local which bus to get on.  She speaks NO English and I speak NO Italian.  Dennis was cracking me up.  I finally told him, "Honey, it doesn't matter how loud and how slow you talk, if they don't know English, they don't know English!  Funny.

Once we were on the bus a very friendly man helped Dennis with our tickets.  We were still unsure if we were going the right way but we knew we were going somewhere.  The further we got from our new home the more insecure I got.  After we had been on the bus for awhile I started to peer through the glass looking at the pedestrians hoping to see fruits and vegetables sticking out of their sacks or any sign that they had just come from a market. Blocks and blocks went by with hundreds of people but no lettuce leaves or bananas.  Finally the bus pulls around the corner and we see 1,000 plus vendors, we had made it....wahoo!

The girls were on a mission to find some scarves.  So many to choose from and very reasonable. There was the fruit and vegetable side of the market and then many vendors selling toys, jewelry, all clothing, table cloths, parakeets, goldfish.  You name it, they were selling it.

.The scooters here must have the right of way.  They just zip to the front of the line like it's no big deal.  This picture answers the question of can I go get groceries with a scooter?  I am only limited by the size of my basket, not the size of my transportation.

Yes, I have clothes on, it's a strapless dress.

We thouroghly enjoyed dining out tonight.  Only our second time in a restaurant since we've left America.  The owner was amazing.  He went out of his way to try and communicate with us and answer our questions about ingredients on the pizza.  I'd point at the menu and he'd run to the kitchen and bring back the topping.  It was great fun. Things are looking up in Italy.  This post may seem a little mopey but we want to share it all with you, not just the splendid things but also some of the drudgery that goes along with learning in a different culture.  It's sometimes irritating but always a learning experience for which we will be better.

Philipians 2:14  Do everything without complaining or arguing. 

2 comments:

  1. Love your realness Bly. And especially love your Philipians 2:14 verse. Thanks for sharing. I am enjoying following along on your adventures! I continue to pray for safe and enjoyable travels for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. It's not always easy or fun to share the ickiness of our attitudes when it is obvious that our hearts should be full of thanks for this opportunity.

    ReplyDelete