Sunday, September 18, 2011

Swiss Mennonites

Skimming the cream off our farm fresh milk
This morning we left for church with 74 year old Karin riding shotgun waving us in which direction to go. Her English is pretty good to start but she finishes most sentences in German.  Dennis and I both assumed it was in town just a few minutes away but we shouldn't assume anything.

We drove through town then up a hill that crossed some railroad tracks and went through a cattle gate to what appeared to be a paved bike path. The endless mountain of grass reached high into the wet sky as we buzzed down the path in question. Were we driving on someone's property? This continued for 15 more minutes as we went further and further from civilization. Hmmmm? Is she really a Mennonite lady or is this going to end like an episode of The Twilight Zone? Funky thoughts began to drift through my mind. We realized this was the same stretch of path that Glenda Patty Smith (GPS) took us down the first day we arrived. At last there was a large house with many cars. We made it.  My stomach began to fizzle, I tell the girls that many people will stare at us because we are new so just smile. They don't like to draw attention to themselves but it's hard to blend in with four red-headed kids.

We watched as people greeted one another in the traditional French way of a triple peck on the cheek. First one side then the other and back to the first side. Karin showed us off proudly as her new toys but didn't really introduce us to anyone. The only thing I could understand that she was saying was "Americans." I didn't get the sense that it was in a complimentary manner but it doesn't matter I just smiled.

The pastor's wife introduced herself and she sat by me and translated much of the service. She was so sweet and had a gentle spirit, much like our own pastor's wife, Sue. I felt very comfortable. The service began in French and then a lady would give the same portion in German. They welcomed our family in English. The pastor's wife even copied some of the verses in English and printed them out for us. A Swiss yodeling choir was there and they sang a few different times, very pretty. Dennis kept a steady stream of cookies plugged into Raleigh and he was perfect the whole TWO HOUR service! The girls grew quite bored with the whole thing but survived it.

They did communion at the end of the service. First a plate of bread chunks went around and then a large silver goblet......ONE silver goblet. The service was about Christ preaching to everyone and how he gave his life for all of our sins. We need not to be judgmental of others or set limits on our friendships but to open up to all. I nodded my head in agreement throughout the translation....but then the single goblet continues to come closer as I watch the lips of others before me. Can't I share a cup with these people that have welcomed us into their house of God? The cup is getting closer. I have watched to see where the other lips have touched and wonder if I can hit an untainted part of the cup. Hmmm, don't I have a straw in my backpack? It's too late, the cup is in my hands, I feel the heat of uncontrollable nervous giggles crawling up my trunk. The girls' eyes are glued to me to see if I will actually set my lips on the community cup. I do it. I pray. I survive. I look back at Dennis and he shakes his head and I pass it on.

After the service they have a small reception downstairs for the yodeling choir. The church building has the same feel as the Holmesville Church of the Brethern. We stand in the corner for awhile feeling quite odd. No one really knows what to say to us because we don't speak the same language. After ten minutes a few people try their English on us and we share some nice conversations.

I did learn that I have no excuse not to go up to a visitor in our own church and say a few welcoming words. Not knowing what to say is much less an issue than not knowing how to say it.

The day continued on sleepily.  Dennis, Raleigh and I had a long afternoon nap while the girls played and sang in a Mennonite meeting room on the second floor.  The rest of the day was quite uneventful.  A trip to a closed grocery store and back home, supper, clean the kitchen, laundry,  Face Time with family, blogging and bed.


The view when passing through Mont Tramelan



Indi doing math
Reading books to Raleigh

Ireland doing supper dishes

6 comments:

  1. I laughed out loud at the vision of you contemplating whether or not to drink from the cup as it came closer and closer!! And the comment about uncontrollable giggles made me laugh harder as I remembered our infamous stop at Sonic in Lincoln! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And why do I keep showing up as "Mrs. Weeks"?? A little formal, I'd say. I gotta fix that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more thing...SO excited for school this week as we will be checking in on Benny's adventures. I have the cover and first two pages of our World Traveler Journals ready to go, AND my kindergartners will be making German Apfelstrudel!!! YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an incredible adventure! I love your posts and knowing I don't have to wait until you come home to hear all about your days. You are doing a great job of remembering the splendid and majestic works of the Lord and sharing them with others ( Ps. 111) Love you~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bly! Thanks for doing such an incredible job of posting your trip for us! I have loved seeing what you see and laughing at your "Bly" responses to things! Laughed out loud about your struggles with the communion cup and Dennis's quick refusal! My family lives this and I am so happy for your family in experiencing it! Love and miss you all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the positive feedback. We so appreciate your love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete