Friday, September 9, 2011

Visiting Bad Tolz




Guten Morgan (Good Morning)
This morning our family read in Psalm 139: 1-14 that we are fearfully and wonderfully made.  So we will embrace who we are and focus on the strengths God has given us.

As we walked down the streets of Bad Tolz the girls skipped along, arm in arm without a care in the world, oblivious to the many stares and smiles from strangers.  I guess a strength we carry with us is happiness or simply contentment in just being together.

Bad Tolz is a wonderful little town with cobblestone streets.  I felt like I was walking on the set of a movie. There were people young and old with their dogs strolling in and out of shops and cafes licking their gelato atop of cones.  What a wonderful Sunday…..wait….it’s not Sunday, it’s Thursday afternoon.  What are these people doing, don’t they have lives and responsibilities? They seemed to be soaking in everyday life in a completely different manner in which we see back home.
We grabbed some sandwiches at the bakery and sat down at one of the many clusters of tables in the middle of the street until a waitress came to take our order.  Ooops, the different table groupings were for certain restaurants.  Our bakery didn’t have tables so we plunked down against the building and ate our lunch and finished with some tiramasu gelato.

Ordering food and interacting with people have allowed us to practice some very basic German phrases.  I feel so goofy when the words tumble out of my mouth and land on humored ears.  I keep telling myself the same thing, “It will be okay, you’ll never see these people again.”  Hopefully that won’t catch up with me later.  Actually most people giggle and then try their English on me.  I had to act out “grocery store” this morning because I forgot my little translator book.  “Schpreken Sie English?”   (Do you speak English?) Is what I asked a clerk in a toy store, in which she responded, “A little.” By the time I was done with my song and dance about needing directions to a grocery store a couple people had gathered around to watch.  Hey, I got my answer and the family got fed.  I bet you’re all trying to act out grocery store now, aren’t you?  
This appeared to be an obedience class on
main street.  We tried to enlist Raleigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment